Saturday, February 28, 2009

Best Falafel in Downtown

I do expect people to argue with me for a title like that. So if you know of a better falafel, please tell me where and I will check it out.

As I am sure this blog will slowly reveal, I loooove "street meat". "Street Meat" being defined as 'a fast affordable meal that is often gotten on the go. Usually places at which "Street Meat" is purchased have very limited or no seating. "Street Meat" mostly consists of sandwich based fair: such as wraps or pitas'.

Where do I get the best falafel in downtown? Off Granville at Robson this tiny place called Babylon. The place is so small only three people can fit through the door at a time, and once you have your order you have to squeeze past to get back out the door. The place looks pretty clean, but like most small quick eat places, I am sure it only looks clean... You can tell this is a family run joint as while there are often 5 people behind the counter, no more that 2 will be working at anytime.
Don't expect friendly service, and you had better speak up and say what the hell you want on your falafel because if they make a mistake, they get bitchy. All the quirks aside, this falafel is worth waiting outside in the rain for it's just that good. All the toppings you could ask for from pickled beets to hot peppers and pickles, to sauces like garlic mayo, tahini and hot sauce. Ooooh Yeah! A regular falafel starts at about $4.80, with shawarma coming in at about $5.80. If you're feeling particularly hungry you can have the two together for about 7 bones. A bit more than what I prefer to pay for my Street Meat, but baby, this is so worth it. The pitas are huge, and easily weigh over a pound. It's a stop that is worth every penny.

2 comments:

  1. Hrm.... I would argue that Deserts is pretty damn good... but I haven't had Babylon. The best shwarma is definitely on Denman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deserts employed my girlfriend for a week, and then didn't pay her. Also, cats are allowed in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete