Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Choices on Davie and Richards.

If your social life cuts into your dinner/lunch prep time like mine does, sometimes you have to suck it up and buy lunch while you're at work. While sandwiches are fantastic it is possible to O.D. on them. Trust me, I have been there and it is FAR from pretty. So if you're feeling the need for some roughage, are a fussy eater, or one of those freaky people who follow that raw food diet crap (W.T.F.?!) a nice salad is a good way to go.

Choices has a reputable salad bar, and at $1.99/100 grams it is a bit below the price of it's competitors. Sectioned off into categories (carbs, protein, veggies, leaves etc.), with all options being vegan unless obviously otherwise (as I was told by a deli employee). The salad bar is quite clean and has an aptly placed sneeze guard to protect the well filled containers below. Short black tongs allow for apt control for hungry patrons to grasp the right amount on the first try.

I began with some spinach leaves, followed by those weird baby corn things that are ridiculously delicious. Why do they taste to freaking good?! Gah. Followed by two types of co slaw, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, kumut and wheat berry salads and these mushrooms. I think they were preserved? They looked like the Swamp Thing's left-over's but tasted amazing. Top with a couple of garlic stuffed green olives (for extra offensive breath with which to greet guests), a smattering of vegetables and Annie's Organic Shitaki and Sesame dressing. Yum.

I brought my own bowl because I hate using disposable containers, and my total came to $7.00. I could have lessened this amount by forgoing the dressing as I found the salads had enough juices of their own to coat the spinach. Also if you stay away from heavier items (such as eggs, tuna, wheat berry salads) you can keep your costs pretty low. If I am picky I can often keep it under $5, however all the options make it easy to splurge and over do it: I recommend looking at what is available before you begin grabbing stuff for your bowl.

So for those looking for the low carb option (you losers), this is the place to go. While eating out for lunch everyday can add up, Choices' Salad Bar makes a nice occasional treat.

I give the place one carrot stick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment